Pillar Blend is an all-natural soy wax that is suitable for pillar candles, votives, melts and tarts. Benefits of this wax are:
- Produces structural candles with a smooth creamy finish.
- Requires only a single pour and no additional additives.
- Provides an excellent scent throw, both hot and cold.
- Incorporates new technology to improve melt pool.
- Designed specifically for pillar candles and votives.
- Produces vibrant colours with minimal dye.
- Can take a fragrance load of up to 10%.
- Also a great choice for melts and tarts.
- Arrives in pellet or flake form for ease of use.
- Pours with a smooth level surface.
- Biodegrades and is vegan friendly.
- Excellent mould release.
The wax should be melted to around 75°C when using dyes to ensure it fully dissolves into the wax. We recommended that moderate stirring is carried out. When not including dyes, melting the wax to 70°C will be sufficient.
Moulds should be clean and free of contaminants. They should be at least at room temperature, although pre-heating them to approx. 45 - 50°C can be beneficial.
Fragrance / Pouring
Add your fragrance oil as close to pour temperature as possible for optimum results and mix immediately prior to pouring. Greater adhesion to containers can be achieved by pouring at 60°C. If you experience difficulties with your pour temperature, try a lower or higher temperature in increments of 5 - 10°C.
Minimise the time that the wax is at a high temperatures in order to reduce burning off the fragrance.
Natural waxes tend to require larger wick sizes than traditional paraffin waxes. Fragrance, colour and candle configuration have a great impact on the best wick choice. Too large of a wick may cause sooting, accelerated burn times and guttering (wax leaking through the side of the candle). Too small a wick will cause tunnelling and produce a smaller flame. Keep wicks trimmed to ¼ inch. If you experience poor flame quality or stability, try a different type of wick.
Cool undisturbed candles at room temperature (about 25°C) for 48 hours before test burning. Test burn the candle for burn pool diameter and “mushrooming”. Mushrooming is when carbon and/or other substances build up on the end of the wick interfering with combustion. Mushrooming can cause sooting and poor odours. Try different wicks until you have your desired burn pool diameter and a good clean flame.
Soy wax typically has a cure time of 2 weeks, however after testing we found the scent throw to be good after only 3 days.Safety Data Sheet (SDS) and Technical Data Sheet (TDS) are both available to download below.